WELLINGTON, Sept. 14 (Xinhua) -- New Zealand will provide humanitarian support to those affected by last week's earthquake in Morocco, Foreign Minister Nanaia Mahuta said on Thursday.
"We are making a contribution of 1 million NZ dollars (590,000 U.S. dollars) to the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) to help meet humanitarian needs," Mahuta said.
"New Zealand is deeply saddened by the loss of life and devastation caused by this earthquake," Mahuta said, adding New Zealand stands ready to consider requests for assistance from the Moroccan government.
The 6.8-magnitude earthquake hit the North African country at 11:11 p.m. local time (2211 GMT) last Friday at a depth of 18.5 km.
The death toll from the devastating earthquake has risen to 2,901, and the injuries to 5,530, according to the latest statement released by the Moroccan government on Tuesday.
The IFRC is working with the Moroccan Red Crescent to deliver essential relief items such as food, tents and blankets, and to provide lifesaving medical assistance, psychological support and protection for those in need.